If you discover mold developing in an area of your home you may wonder if it’s safe to remove yourself. Although there are a number of factors which should determine this, if mold is not covering an area of more than 10 square feet, it should be something you can clean up yourself. Before you go ahead though, here are a few points to take into consideration:
You are probably aware that mold produces spores that are damaging to your health. Before starting the job of getting rid of it, be sure that you are wearing the appropriate protective gear which should include a respirator mask.
Another point to consider is what is the cause of the mold? Mold will not develop without some kind of moisture so you may have an undetected leak or other water related issue which is causing it. You will need to fix the problem otherwise the mold will just keep growing back.
Cleaning mold from hard surfaces can be done using water and detergent. If you are going to repaint the area, make sure it has been well scrubbed and is completely dry first. Mold will often appear in bathrooms etc. but be careful not to caulk an area where you see mold forming.
Carpets are difficult when it comes to mold removal. You may find it better to replace a moldy carpet that try to remove it. Soft furnishings are another problem as mold tends to stain fabrics. Consult with someone who specializes in furniture restoration for advice with this.
In review, it is usually ok to clean small areas of mold yourself but make sure you have taken all the proper precautions first and seek advice from a mold remediation specialist if you are unsure about what to do.